Non-Research Patient Care
Note about how MDs & MD/PhDs are defined in this workforce box:
Physicians working in "Non-Research Patient Care" include those working in "Hospital-Based Practice" and "Office-Based Practice" as categorized by the AMA Physician Characteristics and Distribution in the US, 2012 Edition.
- Office-Based Practice includes physicians engaged in seeing patients. Physicians may be in solo practice practice, group practice, two-physician practice, or other patient care employment. This category also includes physicians in patient services such as those provided by pathologists and radiologists.
- Hospital-Based Practice includes physicians employed under contract with hospitals to provide direct patient care.
Other Data from the Physician Characteristics and Distribution in the US, AMA 2012:
- Table 1.1 - Total Physicians by Age, Activity, and Sex, 2010 Table 1.1.pdf
- Table 6.1 - Physicians by Activity, 1975-2010 Table 6.1.pdf
- Table K - Total US Physicians by Major Categories, 1970-2010 Table K.pdf
- Table 1.20 - Physicians by Race/Ethnicity, 2010 Table 1.20.pdf
IMGs in Patient Care: AMA 2012:
- Estimate of total physicians in the workforce from AMA: Total MDs, Ages <35-65 = 727,525
- Estimate of total physicians from combined sources identified by the Advisory Committee to the NIH Director BMW: 827,658
- MDs and MD/PhDs in Non-Research Patient Care account for 82% of the MD and MD/PhD workforce between the ages of <35-65.