Note about how MDs & MD/PhDs are defined in this workforce box:
- Source of Data: AMA Physician Characteristics and Distribution in the US - 2012 Edition
- Physicians that may be working in "Non-Research Non-Clinical" could be classified as working in "Administration" as categorized by the AMA Physician Characteristics and Distribution in the US, 2012 Edition.
- Administration includes physicians in administrative activities in a hospital, health facility, health agency, clinic, group, or any similar organization.
- Estimate of total physicians in the workforce from AMA: Total MDs, Ages < 35-65 = 727,525
- Estimate of total physicians from combined sources identified by the Advisory Committee to the NIH Director BMW: 827,658
- MDs and MD/PhDs in Non-Research Non-Clinical occupations account for 1.1% of the MD and MD/PhD workforce between the ages of < 35-65.