PhD Biomedical Research Workforce
Graduate Education & Training:
- Fuhrmann et al (2011) Improving Graduate Education to Support a Branching Career Pipeline: Recommendations Based on a Survey of Doctoral Students in the Basic Biomedical Sciences, CBE Life Sciences, Vol 10, pp. 239-249.
- Bell et al (2011) Enrollment and Degrees in Professional Science Master’s (PSM) Programs, www.sciencemasters.com
- Garrison et al (2005) Foreign postdocs: the changing face of biomedical science in the U.S., The FASEB Journal, Vol. 19 pp. 1938-1942
- Richards (2012) Best Places to Work Postdocs, The Scientist
- Jacob et al (2007) The Impact of Research Grant Funding on Scientific Productivity, Working paper 13519
- Liu et al (2004) Tenure in Transition: Trends in Basic Science Faculty Appointment Policies at U.S. Medical Schools, Academic Medicine, Vol 79, No. 3
- Bunton et al (2007) The Continued Evolution of Faculty Appointment and Tenure Policies at U.S. Medical Schools Academic Medicine, Vol 82, No. 3
- Stephan (2012) How Economics Shapes Science, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Finn (2009) Stay Rates of Foreign Doctorate Recipients from U.S. Universities, ORISE
- Auriol (2007) Labour Market Characteristics and International Mobility of Doctorate Holders
- Addressing the Nation's Changing Needs for Biomedical and Behavioral Scientists (2000)
- National Research Council.(1998) Trends in the Early Careers of Life Scientists; The National Academies
- U.S. Biotechnology Metrics; Ernst & Young’s “Global Biotechnology Report 2010”
- Batelle BIO 2010 State Bioscience Initiatives Report
- Economist Intelligence Unit: Industries 2012
- Moses et al (2005) JAMA Financial Anatomy of Biomedical Research, JAMA
- Dorsey et al (2010) JAMA of US Biomedical Research, 2003-2008;
- Manyika et al (2011)McKinsey GIobal Institute: An economy that works: Job creation and America’s future;
- Bureau of Labor and Statistics: Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing Outlook 2010-11 Edition
- Monster Job Market Intelligence: 2011 Biotechnology Job Candidates
- NSF Industry Technology 2012
- PhRMA Pharmaceutical Industry 2011 Profile
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Growth Reimagined Pharmaceuticals and Life Sciences Industry Summary
MD & MD/PhD Biomedical Research Workforce
Medical &Graduate Education & Training:
- Brass, L.F. et.al. (2010) Are MD-PhD Programs Meeting Their Goals? An Analysis of Career Choices Made by Graduates of 24 MD-PhD Programs; Academic Medicine 85(4):692-701.
- Schwartz, A.L. (2011) Commentary: Physician-Scientist Attrition: Stemming the Tide Through National Networks for Training and Development; Academic Medicine 86(9):1071-1072.
- Jeffe, D.B. and Andriole, D.A. (2011) A National Cohort Study of MD-PhD Graduates of Medical Schools With and Without Funding From the National Institutes of General Medical Sciences' Medical Scientist Training Program; Academic Medicine 86(8): 953-961.
- Iglehart, J.K. (2011) The Uncertain Future of Medicare and Graduate Medical Education; New England Journal of Medicine 365(14):1340-1345.
- Koniaris, L.G. et.al. (2010) Perspective: PhD Scientists Completing Medical School in Two Years: Looking at the Miami PhD-to-MD Program Alumni Twenty Years Later; Academic Medicine 85(4): 687-691.
- Androile D.A. et.al. (2008) Characteristics and Career Intentions of the Emerging MD/PhD Workforce; JAMA 300(20):1165-1173.
- Phillips, J.P. et.al. (2010) Medical Student Debt and Primary Care Specialty Intentions; Fam Med 42(9):616-22.
- The Robert Graham Center: Policy Studies in Family Medicine and Primary Care,(2009)What Influences Medical Student & Resident Choices?
- Dyrbye, L.N. et.al (2008)Research Productivity of Graduates from 3 Physician-Scientist Training Programs; The American Journal of Medicine 121(12): 1107-1113.
- Teo, A.R. (2009) The Development of Clinical Research Training: Past History and Current Trends in the United States; Academic Medicine, 84(4): 433-438.
- Puljak, L. (2007) An Overlooked Source of Physician-Scientists; Journal of Investigative Medicine 55:402-405.
- Vidyasagar, D. (2007) Integrating International Medical Graduates into the Physician-Scientist Pool: Solution to the Problem of Decreasing Physician-Scientists in the United States;Journal of Investigative Medicine 55:406-409.
- Chen P. G-C, et. al. (2011) Professional Challenges of Non-US Born International Medical Graduates and Recommendations for Support During Residency Training; Academic Medicine 86:1383-1388.
- Alexander, H. et.al. (2007) Contributions of international medical graduates to US biomedical research: The experience of US medical schools; Journal of Investigative Medicine 55(8): 410-414.
- American Medical Association (2010) International Medical Graduates in American Medicine: Contemporary Challenges and Opportunities - A position paper by the AMA-IMG Section Governing Council. (http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/img/img-workforce-paper.pdf )
- Dickler, H.B. et.al. (2007) New Physician-Investigators Receiving National Institutes of Health Research Project Grants - A Historical Perspective on the "Endangered Species"; JAMA 297(22): 2496-2501.
- Liu, C.Q. and Alexander, H., Association of American Medical Colleges (2011) The Changing Demographics of Full-time U.S. Medical School Faculty, 1966-2009; Analysis in Brief 11(8):1-2
- Bunton, S.A. and Corrice, A.M. Association of American Medical Colleges (2010) Trends in Tenure for Clinical M.D. Faculty in U.S. Medical Schools: A 25-Year Review; Analysis in Brief 9(9):1-2
- Goodwin, M. et al.Association of American Medical Colleges (2011) Sponsored Program Salary Support to Medical School Faculty in 2009; Analysis in Brief 11(1):1-2
- Liu, C.Q. and Alexander, H., Association of American Medical Colleges (2010) Promotion Rates for First-time Assistant and Associate Professors Appointed from 1967 to 1997; Analysis in Brief 9(7):1-2.
- Alexander, H. and Liu, C.Q. Association of American Medical Colleges (2009) The Aging of Full-time U.S. Medical School Faculty: 1967-2007; Analysis in Brief 9(4):1-2
- Alexander, H. and Lang, J., Association of American Medical Colleges (2008)The Long-term Retention and Attrition of U.S. Medical School Faculty; Analysis in Brief 8(4):1-2.
- Corrice, A.M., et.al.,Association of American Medical Colleges (2011) Retention of Full-time Clinical M.D. Faculty at U.S. Medical Schools; Analysis in Brief 11(2):1-2.
- Bunton, S.A. and Corrice, A.M., Association of American Medical Colleges (2011) Perceptions of the Promotion Process: An Analysis of U.S. Medical School Faculty; Analysis in Brief 11(5):1-2.
Opinion Pieces and Reports
- Association of Professors of Medicine Physician-Scientist Initiative (2007) Recommendations for Revitalizing the Nation's Physician-Scientist Workforce
- National Research Council, (2000) Measuring the Science and Engineering Enterprise: Priorities for the Division of Science Resources Studies
- ASBMB, (2011) ASBMB Surveys on Gender and Family Issues;
- Azoulay (2012) “Turn the scientific method on ourselves” How can we know whether funding models for research work?, Nature,
- Wendler (2012 ) Pathways through Graduate School and into Careers: Council of Graduate Schools,
- Villegas et al., (2010) Diversifying the Teaching Force: An Examination of Major Arguments; Urban Rev,
- L. Smith-Doerr (2006) Stuck in the Middle: Doctoral Education Ranking and Career Outcomes for Life Scientists, Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society,
- G, Petsko (2010) Economies of Scale; Genome Biology,
- Rohn (2011) Give postdocs a career, not empty promises,; Nature 471, 7 (2011)
- Nathan et al (1996) Clinical Research: Perceptions, Reality, and Proposed, JAMA,
- National Bioeconomy Blueprint 2012, White House
- Teitelbaum et al (2010) Needed: Support for Professional Science Master’s Degrees, The Chronicle of Higher Education, August 2010
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences Training Plan 2011
- Alberts (2010) Overbuilding Research Capacity, Science, Vol 329
- Taylor ( 2011) Reform the PhD system or close it down,Nature 472, 261
- McCook (2011), Nature, Rethinking PhD’s, 472, 280,
- National Academies of Sciences (2010) Rising Above the Gathering Storm
- Research Council, (2008) Science Professionals: Master’s Education for a Competitive World, National
- Shu (2012) The Long-Term Impact of Business Cycles on Innovation,
- Stephan (2012) Perverse Incentives, Stephan, 5 April 2012, Nature Vol 484
- Teitelbaum (2008) Structural Disequilibria in Biomedical Research, Vol 321 Science
- National Research Council, (2000), Measuring the Science and Engineering Enterprise: Priorities for the Division of Science Resources Studies,
- The Economist (2010) The disposable academic Doctoral degrees Why doing a PhD is often a waste of time
- Cyranoski et al (2011) Trends in Early Careers of life Scientists, National Research Council., 1998
- Bush (1945) Science The Endless Frontier: A Report to the President
- Price ( 2011) Where are the Neuroscience Jobs, Science
- Lorden et al (2011) Research-Doctorate Programs in the Biomedical Sciences: Selected Findings from the NRC Assessment, National Academies Press,
- The Federal Demonstration Partnership Task Force on Parental and Family Leave for Research Trainees(2012) A Forgotten Class of Scientists: Examining the Parental and Family Benefits Available to Research Trainees
- American Academic The State of the Higher Education Workforce 1997-2007
- RTI International (2010) NSF-NIH Survey of Postdoctoratees at Federally Funded Research and Development Centers
- NAS (2000) Addressing the Nation's Changing Needs for Biomedical and Behavioral Scientists Executive Summary
- June (2012) Aging Professors Create a Faculty Bottleneck, The Chronicle
- National Research Council (2011) Research Training in the Biomedical, Behavioral, and Clinical Research Sciences
- National Research Council (2000) Addressing the Nation's Changing Needs for Biomedical and Behavioral Scientists
- National Research Council (1998) Trends in the Early Careers of Life Scientists; The National Academies